The inaugural NIFSC Board of Directors will take on the governance of the National Indigenous Fire Safety Council effective April 1, 2022. The recruitment and selection of Board members was overseen by a special Recruitment and Selection Committee designed to promote, recruit, advise and provide recommendations on the 17 member NIFSC Board of Directors to the AFAC Board of Directors.
The NIFSC Recruitment and Selection Committee consist of three (3) National Advisory Committee members and Facilitator Nathan Wright. Together, they created the selection criteria, timeline, and application process for the positions allocated to subject matter experts.
Main Activities of the Recruitment and Selection Committee
The main activities of the committee include:
- Overseeing the development of all recruitment materials for the following processes:
- Appointment for Assembly of First Nations, Metis National Council, and the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Nomination of regional representatives
- FNESS, TSAG, PAGC/SKFNEM, ONFFS
- For Manitoba, Quebec and the Atlantic, the political organizations in these regions will put forward their nomination for a representative
- Application criteria for positions allocated to subject matter expertise
- Actively recruit individuals to apply for the subject matter positions
- Review appointments, nominations, and applications
A process map was created to provide an overview of the recruitment and selection process and timeline.
Promotion of Board Positions
The Board positions for subject matter experts were posted on the NIFSC website, on both the Corporate Development webpage and the Opportunities webpage. The positions were also promoted across social media channels. Member of the NAC shared the postings within their networks, as did the AFAC Board of Directors.
- Review all applications against the agreed upon application criteria
- Provide recommendations to the AFAC Board of Directors on the 17 members for the new NIFSC Board of Directors