Official Transition of AFAC to the NIFSC – Incoming NIFSC Board of Directors – April 2022
The purpose of the National Indigenous Fire Safety Council (NIFSC) Project is to develop an Indigenous organization that will provide national fire and life safety training and support services to Indigenous communities across Canada. These services include community risk assessments, governance support, fire pre-plan examination, equipment maintenance support, fire inspections, and fire investigations while also working in collaboration with regional technical service groups and Indigenous leadership.
The Aboriginal Firefighters Association of Canada (AFAC) created the NIFSC Project to support Indigenous communities in building capacity to determine their own fire and safety needs. The AFAC has developed a strategic plan to transition from the AFAC to the NIFSC on April 1, 2022. This will include the inaugural NIFSC Board of Directors.
Beginning in December 2021, the AFAC and the NIFSC will begin the recruitment of the incoming NIFSC Board of Directors. To support this work, a NIFSC Board of Directors Recruitment and Selection Committee will promote, recruit, advise and provide recommendations on the 17 member NIFSC Board of Directors.
The main activities will include:
- Oversee the development of all recruitment material for the following processes:
- Appointment for Assembly of First Nations, Metis National Council, and the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Nomination of regional representatives
- FNESS, TSAG, PAGC/SKFNEM, ONFFS
- Manitoba, Quebec and Atlantic – Political organizations in these regions will put forward their nomination for a representative
- Application criteria for subject matter expertise
- Actively recruit individuals to apply for the subject matter positions
- Review appointments, nominations, and applications
- Specifically, review all applications against the agreed upon application criteria
- Provide recommendations to the AFAC Board of Directors on the 17 members for the new NIFSC Board of Directors
The membership of the NIFSC Board of Directors Recruitment and Selection Committee consists of members appointed by the Assembly of First Nations, Metis National Council, and the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami as well as at large representatives from the National Advisory Committee (NAC) within the NIFSC project.
- Approval of the application process, application form, and selection criteria by the NAC and the AFAC Board of Directors (November 17 NAC meeting and the November 23 AFAC Board of Directors meeting)
- Actively recruit individuals to apply for the NIFSC Board of Directors
January 2021 – February 2021
- Secure appointments, nominations, and award applicates
- Select NIFSC Board Members
March 2021 – April 2021
- Begin NIFSC Board of Directors onboarding
- Announcement of the new NIFSC Board members
Please stay tuned for further details in the new year. If you would like more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.